IPv6 rDNS - how will it be done?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Apr 28 00:42:09 UTC 2010

In message <v2s621b657f1004271721icf7c9237kcfb877b7785d1e73 at mail.gmail.com>, Felipe Zanchet Grazziotin writes:
> Hi list,
>
> this is my first post, so be nice. :)
>
> Wondering about IPv6 deployments to end-users, imagine we deploy a full /48
> address to each client.
> How is the reverse DNS for each possible IPv6 address going to be?
>
> Nowadays I'm used to do IPv4 reverse using old Class C, which has (up to)
> 256 entries. Are we really going to make reverse DNS entries for each of
> those 2^80 addresses? Or going to deploy rDNS only at the PtP links and
> relevant servers?
>
> Kind regards,
> Felipe

Windows will just populate the reverse zone as needed, if you let
it, using dynamic update.  If you have properly deployed BCP 39
and have anti-spoofing ingres filtering then you can just let any
address from the /48 add/remove PTR records.  Other OS's will
follow suite.

Alternatively you can delegate the reverse for the /48 to servers
run by the customers.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC