the alleged evils of NAT, was Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Tue Apr 27 18:49:26 UTC 2010

Owen DeLong wrote:
> On Apr 27, 2010, at 10:48 AM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
>

>> Andy Davidson wrote:

>>> What about every other service/protocol that users use today, and might be invented tomorrow ?  Do & will they all work with NAT ?
>>>

>> Anyone inventing a new service/protocol that doesn't work with NAT isn't planning on success.
>>

> Respectfully, I disagree.  There are many possible innovations that are available in a NAT-less world and it is desirable to get to that point rather than hamper future innovation with this obsolete baggage.

I would argue that every one of those innovations, if even passably
useful, can also be implemented in a NAT-full world.

>>> Do many others work as well or act reliably through NAT ?
>>>

>> Yes.
>>

> In reality, it's more like some yes, some not so much.

== Some designed to work properly in the face of NAT, some ignored
reality at their peril.

>>> Will it stop or hamper the innovation of new services on the
>>> internet ?
>>>

>> Hasn't so far.
>>

> Here I have to call BS... I know of a number of cases where it has.

Ok, you called it... so where's the list of such services that haven't
materialized as a result of NAT?

Matthew Kaufman