the alleged evils of NAT, was Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Tue Apr 27 17:48:54 UTC 2010

Andy Davidson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:29:59AM -0400, John R. Levine wrote:
>
>>> Did you use Yahoo IM, AIM, or Skype?
>>>
>> Yes, yes, and yes.  Works fine.
>>

> What about every other service/protocol that users use today,
> and might be invented tomorrow ?  Do & will they all work with
> NAT ?

Anyone inventing a new service/protocol that doesn't work with NAT isn't
planning on success.
> Do many others work as well or act reliably through NAT ?

Yes.
> Will it stop or hamper the innovation of new services on the
> internet ?

Hasn't so far.
> The answer to these questions isn't a good one for users, so
> as the community that are best placed to defend service quality
> and innovation by preserving the end to end principal, it is
> our responsibility to defend it to the best of our ability.

Firewalls will always break the end-to-end principle, whether or not
addresses are identical between the inside and outside or not.
> So get busy - v6 awareness, availability and abundancy are
> overdue for our end users.

Maybe. Most of them are perfectly happy.

Matthew Kaufman