[Re: http://tools.ietf.org/search/draft-hain-ipv6-ulac-01]

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Tue Apr 27 06:44:12 UTC 2010

> > I was hoping that wasn't going to be your answer. So do you expect
> > every residential customer to get a PI from an RIR?
>
> No, won't be necessary. Typical leases on v4 are extremely stable. I
> see no reason why they should be less so -- bar implementation hickups
> -- in v6. My "dynamic" v4 address of my Telia DSL at home has been the
> same for over a year. The ISP that messes this up will lose customers.

Agreed. We use a reasonable leasetime (24 hours) and let the DHCP server
do its normal job. Which means that the client *will* get the same IPv4
address as long as nothing else changes (MAC-address, etc) - after all,
that's what the RFC says.

But we also need the ability to perform bulk moves of customers when an
aggregation box fills up, and this is much easier if we *can* change the
client IP address in connection with a bulk move. Thus we don't want to
*guarantee* that the dynamic addresses are stable.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no