[Re: http://tools.ietf.org/search/draft-hain-ipv6-ulac-01]

Mans Nilsson mansaxel at besserwisser.org
Mon Apr 26 21:48:27 UTC 2010

Subject: Re: [Re: http://tools.ietf.org/search/draft-hain-ipv6-ulac-01] Date: Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 11:31:06AM +0930 Quoting Mark Smith (nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org):

> > > So what happens when you change providers? How are you going to keep
> > > using globals that now aren't yours?
> >
> > use pi space, request it from your local friendly RIR.
> >

> I was hoping that wasn't going to be your answer. So do you expect
> every residential customer to get a PI from an RIR?

No, won't be necessary. Typical leases on v4 are extremely stable. I
see no reason why they should be less so -- bar implementation hickups
-- in v6. My "dynamic" v4 address of my Telia DSL at home has been the
same for over a year. The ISP that messes this up will lose customers.

As long  as we use self-healing reasonably abstracted means of pointing
out where our stuff is we'll easily survive renumbering should it
occur. As long as the renumbering is less frequent than the TTL on the
DNS records. For DLNA-like stuff, there is always FE80::/10, besides.

	The uniqueness of the unicast IP address is the key to its
	value and the means with which it enables us to build new
	stuff from which we make money. Corrupting the uniqueness
	requirement is devaluing the real reach and power of the IP
	address in search of shortsighted futile "gains" and is
	a practice any network professional should abstain from.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668