[Re: http://tools.ietf.org/search/draft-hain-ipv6-ulac-01]

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Mon Apr 26 14:20:30 UTC 2010

On 24 Apr 2010 21:01, Mark Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 01:48:18 -0400
> Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 5:47 PM, Mark Smith
>> <nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org> wrote:
>>
>>> So what happens when you change providers? How are you going to keep using globals that now aren't yours?
>>>
>> use pi space, request it from your local friendly RIR.
>>
> I was hoping that wasn't going to be your answer. So do you expect every residential customer to get a PI from an RIR?

The vast majority of residential customers have no idea what "globals"
or "PI" are.  They use PA and they're fine with that--despite being
forcibly renumbered every few hours/days.  (Many ISPs deliberately tune
their DHCP servers to give residential customers a different address
each time for "market segmentation" reasons.)

> Here's the scenario:
>
> I'm a typical, fairly near future residential customer. I have a NAS that I have movies stored on. My ISP delegates an IPv6 prefix to me with a preferred lifetime of 60 minutes, and a valid lifetime of 90 minutes. ... I start watching a 2 hour movie, delivered from my NAS to my TV over IPv6, using the GUA addresses (because you're saying I don't ULAs). 5 minutes into the movie, my Internet drops out.

And five minutes and a few seconds into the movie, the movie drops out
because the DRM mechanism can't phone home anymore to validate you still
have a license to watch it.  I have an IP-based DVR, and that's exactly
what happens.

However, let us look forward to a world where the TV/movie studios have
woken up to the fact that DRM does more harm than good, as the record
industry recently has:

> 1 hour, 35 minutes into movie, the movies drops out, because the IPv6 addresses used to deliver it can't be used anymore.

The vast majority of residential customers have a single subnet, so they
can get by just fine using IPv6 link-local addresses.  The vanishingly
small percentage that have multiple subnets are presumably savvy enough
to set up ULA-R addresses.  There is no need for ULA-C in this scenario.

The only semi-rational justification for ULA-C is that organizations
privately internetworking with other organizations are scared of ULA-R
collisions.  However, PI solves that problem just as readily.  If one
cannot afford or qualify for PI, or one wants a non-PI prefix due to
delusions of better security, one can use a private deconfliction
registry, e.g. <http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/ula/>.