[Re: http://tools.ietf.org/search/draft-hain-ipv6-ulac-01]

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Sun Apr 25 16:11:22 UTC 2010

> What ISP would put a 'lifetime' on your ipv6 prefix?  That seems insane
> to me... they should give you a /48 and be done with it.  Even the free
> tunnel brokers do that.
>
> But then I never understood dynamic ipv4 either....

Dynamic IPv4 isn't too difficult to understand. There are two main
arguments:

- Dynamic addresses is a way to differentiate residential customers
(who pay less) from business customers (who pay more).

- Dynamic addresses makes it much easier to handle customers in "bulk".
You can have *one* standardized form of DNS info (forward/reverse), no
customer defined DNS at all. You can easily move customers to a new
aggregation box when the current box is reaching max capacity - just
remember to lower your DHCP lease time beforehand. You may not need to
alert customers individually as long as work is done within your well
defined service windows. etc etc.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no