[Re: http://tools.ietf.org/search/draft-hain-ipv6-ulac-01]

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Sun Apr 25 00:47:41 UTC 2010

On 04/22/2010 11:23 AM, Christopher Morrow wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Bill Bogstad <bogstad at pobox.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> And don't forget to invest in memory manufacturers and router vendors :-)
>>
>> Only required if those addresses are advertised to the Internet.
>> Which is apparently NOT
>> what people want to do with it.   In addition, it seems like the RIRs
>> frown on not publishing your IPv6 PI allocations.  If you go this
>
> this is commonly held up as a reason that getting allocations is hard,
> but the infrastructure micro-allocations are never to be seen in the
> global table.
>
> It woudl be super nice if some kind RIR people could comment here, I
> believe in the ARIN region all you NEED to do is provide a spreadsheet
> showing your utilization, checking for the routes in the 'DFZ'
> (bmanning-summons) isn't relevant for additional requests.
>
>> route, be sure to 'justify' as large an allocation as you could ever
>> possibly imagine using because you'll only get one bite from that
>> apple.
>
> see previous comment, I believe this is a red-herring.

An entity that I worked for in the arin recieved an ip6 micro-allocation
(/43) under current arin policy. it was our understanding at the time
that that 6.5.8.3 was current the criterion for additional assignments.
while  I could imagine other criterion for being applied the assignment
of 4,771 /56 prefixes doesn't seem particularly onerous to document,
even if as it happens, it's not particularly aligned with the initial
assignment policy which was tied to the number of /48 site subnets that
were assigned.