Connectivity to an IPv6-only site

Brielle Bruns bruns at 2mbit.com
Fri Apr 23 16:46:07 UTC 2010

On 4/23/10 3:49 AM, Dave Hart wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 08:26 UTC, Steve Bertrand<steve at ibctech.ca>  wrote:
>> - in WHOIS, I have ns1 and ns2.onlyv6.com listed as the authoritative
>> name servers
>>
>> - both of these servers *only* have IPv6 addresses
>
> Which seems a bit far afield from reality to me.  Yes, there are lots
> of folks with IPv6 connectivity and v4-only recursive DNS servers.  I
> don't think ISPs will have problems setting aside a handful of IPv4
> addresses for authoritative DNS infrastructure to work around this
> until v6 transport in recursive DNS servers is common enough.

Dave,

I think part of the point of this is to discover gotchas with our
current infrastructure.  For example, while diagnosing why I couldn't
get onlyv6.com to resolve on one of my name servers but the others
worked fine, I discovered that PowerDNS Recursor won't use an IPv6
address for outgoing queries unless you actually give it:

query-local-address6=

One of my name servers had it, the other didn't, hence I was getting
failures on one and success on the other.  Its little config issues like
that that can crop up weeks/months/years later and make life difficult.

Now that I'm a Xen shop, I design domUs to last years at a time rather
then rebuilding them constantly.  Being able to shunt stable and
reliable domU hosts to new dom0 machines when they come up is a great
thing, and makes my life alot easier.  :)

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org