Mail Submission Protocol

Mike Walter mwalter at 3z.net
Wed Apr 21 14:05:34 UTC 2010

We have had very good luck with using port 587 and requiring the users
to authenticate to send email from outside our network.

Inside customers, we have not changed to force port 587 and
authentication for email clients, but the topic has come up in
discussions.  This won't of course, stop spammers if they are hijacking
the users local email client settings.

-Mike