Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

Roger Marquis marquis at roble.com
Tue Apr 20 23:38:22 UTC 2010

Jack Bates wrote:
> Disable the uPNP (some routers lack it, and yes, it breaks and microsoft
> will tell you to get uPNP capable NAT routers or get a new ISP).

Thing is, neither of these cheap CPE has UPNP enabled, which leads me to
question whether claims regarding large numbers of serverless multi-user
game users are accurate.

I disable UPNP as standard practice since it is cannot be enabled securely,
at least not on cheap CPE.

> Your argument has nothing to do with this part of the thread and
> discussion of why implementing NAT at a larger scale is bad. I guess it
> might have something to do in other tangents of supporting NAT66.

I should have been clearer, apologies.  WRT LSN, there is no reason
individual users couldn't upgrade to a static IP for their insecurely
designed multi-user games, and no reason to suspect John Levine's ISP is
not representative with 0.16% of its users requesting upgrades.

Roger Marquis