the alleged evils of NAT, was Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Apr 20 15:29:59 UTC 2010

> Did you use Yahoo IM, AIM, or Skype?

Yes, yes, and yes.  Works fine.

> Did you use any of those for
> Video Chat and/or to transfer files?

Skype video chat, all the time, works fine.  Don't remember about file
transfer.

> Did you do any peer to peer filesharing?

Yeah, I got the latest Freebsd via bittorrent, and left it up overnight
and observed from the stats that it served chunks of it back to other
people.

> Did you play any MMOs?

No, I noted the game players.

> Did you run any services?

Of course not, it's consumer DSL.  I run services on my server which is
somewhere else and tunnel in via ssh which, of course, works fine through
NAT.

> When you add in the other things that break which I have outlined above,
> you start to approach 75%. I would argue that 75% is a significant and
> meaningful fraction of an ISPs customer base.

The hypthetical network that your consumers would use appears to be very
different from the actual one available to consumers around here.

R's,
John