Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Tue Apr 20 12:40:17 UTC 2010

> In message <201004200022.o3K0M2Ba007459 at aurora.sol.net>, Joe Greco writes:
> > > That'd be easy if you were just starting up an ISP. What do you do with
> > > your existing customer base? If their current service includes a
> > > dynamic public IPv4 address, you can't gracefully take it away, without
> > > likey violating services T&Cs, government telco regulations etc. So
> > > you'll have to go through a formal process of getting agreement with
> > > customers to take them away.
> >
> > I haven't seen any such documents or regulations.
>
> People purchaced the service on the understanding that they would
> get a Internet address.  A address behind a NAT is not a Internet
> address, it's a *shared* Internet address which is a very different
> thing.

People purchase mobile Internet service and get placed behind
carrier NAT.  People get free Internet at hotels and are almost
always behind a NAT.  The terminology war is lost.

> > Many/most people are _already_ behind a NAT gateway.
>
> They are behind NAT44 which they deployed themselves and control
> the configuration of themselves.  They can direct incoming traffic
> as they see fit.  They are NOT restricted to UDP and TCP.
>
> NAT444 is a different kettle of fish.  There are lots of things
> that you do with a NAT44 that you can't do with a NAT444.
>
> If all you do is browse the web and read email then you won't see
> the much of a difference.  If you do anything more complicated than
> making outgoing queries you will see the difference.

You *might* see the difference.  You might not, too.

And hey, just so we're clear here, I would *agree* that Internet access
ought to mean an actual IP address with as little filtering, etc., as
reasonable...  but we're exploring what happens at exhaustion here.  So
I'm not interested in arguing this point; the fact of the matter is that
we WILL hit exhaustion, and it's going to be a hell of an operational
issue the day your subscribers cannot get an IP from the DHCP server
because they're all allocated and in use.

I'm as offended as anyone by what is often passed off as "Internet"
access, but it's completely devoid of value to argue what you seem to
be saying:  the fact that it is so _today_ does not mean that it /has/
to be so _tomorrow._  All that's down that path is exhaustion with no
solutions.

... JG