Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

Perry Lorier perry at coders.net
Tue Apr 20 04:33:48 UTC 2010

> LSN is not trivial.
>
> Here is some unverified calculations I did on the problem of scaling nat.

One of my colleagues here (Shane Alcock) did some research into "Service
Provider NAT" based off passive traces from a New Zealand Residential
ISP[1].  By passively looking at connections he investigated how you
could dimension a NAT box for an ISP.  His research is available here
http://www.wand.net.nz/~salcock/spnat/tech_report.pdf .  If walls of
text scare you (why are you reading this mailing list then?) skip
through and look at the graphs (page 3 onwards)

[1]: Contrary to Joe Abley's belief, I'm not aware of any major DSL
provider in NZ that is doing NAT inside their network -- although almost
all of the CPE's in New Zealand do NAT you, so as an end user you
usually do end up behind NAT, but it is one under your own control, and
can be eliminated with a careful choice of CPE.  There are some wifi
providers, and some 3G APN's that will provide you with ISP NAT.