Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Apr 20 03:58:13 UTC 2010

In message <4BCD203E.3050302 at zill.net>, Patrick Giagnocavo writes:
> Mark Andrews wrote:
> :
> >> Given that many ISPs put their sign-up documents, including contracts,
> >> on-line, you can no doubt supply a link to such a document that has
> >> legal terms that would preclude NATed service, yes?
> >>
> >> My recollection is only that I would be provided with "Internet service"
> >> or "access to the Internet" .  No mention of RFC1918 space or other
> >> distinguishing information was given.
> >>
> >> Note in the below blurb no mention of publicly routable addresses...
> >
> > It doesn't have to as the normal definition of a Internet address
> > is a publically routable internet address.  A address behind a NAT
> > is not a Internet address (Big I Internet).
> >

> (hope the attribution is not screwed up)
>
> *ANY* valid Internet Protocol address is an "IP address" as mentioned in
> the contract I quoted.  Including 192.168.99.2 .
>

> > If you supply something less than a full blown Internet access you
> > need to point out the restriction otherwise I would expect you to
> > be subject to "Bait and Switch" and other consumer protection laws.
>
> You are charmingly naive about how "the law" actually works in the USA -
> that is IMHO.

Yes, things vary around the world.  You failed to state "In the
USA".  There is plenty of case law in Australia about companies
attempting to arbitarially change terms and conditions to the
detriment of the consumer and being made to reverse the changes.

Changing from a public IP address to a private IP address is a big
change in the conditions of the contract.  People do select ISP's
on the basis of whether they will get a public IP address or a
private IP address.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org