Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

Leen Besselink leen at consolejunkie.net
Mon Apr 19 20:20:24 UTC 2010

On 04/19/2010 07:45 PM, Bill Bogstad wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 1:14 PM, Mohacsi Janos<mohacsi at niif.hu>  wrote:
>

>> On Mon, 19 Apr 2010, Bill Bogstad wrote:

>>> Alternatively, they could commission the vendors to release firmware
>>> upgrades with IPv6 support for the most common older devices.   Given
>>> that many of them are Linux based and the code already exists, this
>>> isn't likely to be technically difficult.
>>>
>> Yes it is. Most of the home gateways are are manufactured : develop, produce
>> and forget life-cycle. The development codebase, is not existing anymore.
>> The developers are moved to another company.... You barely have support for
>> low-end home gateways after a year of first shipment. In the first year some
>> bugfixing....
>>
> That's because they aren't getting paid for maintaining old firmware
> (razor thin margins).  At least in the case of Linux based units, GPL
> enforcement has for the most part required them to keep better track
> of their codebase.  As a result, I think this is more feasible then
> you do.   Still it WOULD be easier to just work on getting all new
> equipment IPv6 capable.  Both cable and cellphone companies already
> commission custom firmware for their settop boxes and cell phones, I
> see no reason that ISPs couldn't do the same.

I actually think the razor thin margins make it less likely.

If I'm not mistaken, one of the reasons firmware updates are not
available from a number of vendors/products, is because the small
boxes don't have enough ROM and/or RAM.

The ROM is to small to hold an extra stack (or other features) and/or
the RAM is to small to handle the connection tracking for the larger
addresses. Because people want a stateful firewall, right ?