Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Mon Apr 19 15:08:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010, Owen DeLong wrote:

> I'm looking at both, and, frankly, LSN (large scale NAT) is not as
> trivial as you think. I actually talk to and work with some of these
> very large providers on a regular basis. None of them is looking forward
> to deploying LSN with anything but dread. The support issues, user
> experience, CALEA problems, and other issues with LSN are huge.  None of
> them that I am aware of are considering using lSN to free up addresses
> to hand over to hosting providers.

Well said.

I've been pondering LSN lately.  I think people have haven't been involved
in large scale service changes or migrations can't appreciate just how
many unanticipated edge cases can appear and blindside a project.

I expect that deploying IPv6 will be far less problematic than deploying
LSN for a large ISP.

Rob

Email: robert at timetraveller.org
IRC: Solver
Web: http://www.practicalsysadmin.com
Open Source: The revolution that silently changed the world