Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

Robert D. Scott robert at ufl.edu
Mon Apr 19 11:44:22 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: Owen DeLong [mailto:owen at delong.com]
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2010 7:28 AM
To: Chris Campbell
Cc: nanog at nanog.org
Subject: Re: Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

On Apr 19, 2010, at 3:16 AM, Chris Campbell wrote:

> On 19 Apr 2010, at 03:52, joel jaeggli wrote:

not have completed to dual stack the current IPv4 network. So what will
happen?

>>> Reality is that as soon as SSL web servers and SSL-capable web browsers
>>> have support for name-based virtual hosts, the number of IPv4 addresses
>>> required will drop.  Right now, you need 1 IP address for 1 SSL site;
>>> SNI spec of SSL gets rid of that.
>>
>> my load balancer needs 16 ips for every million simultaneous
>> connections, so does yours.
>>

> I'm pretty sure that's not the case for inbound connections...
>
> http://vegan.net/pipermail/lb-l/2008-June/000871.html

Depends on which side of the loadbalancer you're talking about and how it is
configured.

Owen

Sounds like he is talking about a source NAT pool.  If the box will support
a million simultaneous PATS, it takes 16 addresses to make a PAT pool of
that size. But if you are routing in the data center they can be private, as
only the real servers will see them. If you had a need to do 1 arm across
the Internet a single NAT pool would provide service for a large number of
VIPS. These are featuress of an ACE.