Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Mon Apr 19 01:58:47 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net> wrote:
> Franck Martin wrote:
>> Sure the internet will not die...
>>
>> But by the time we run out of IPv4 to allocate, the IPv6 network will not have completed to dual stack the current IPv4 network. So what will happen?
>>

> Reality is that as soon as SSL web servers and SSL-capable web browsers
> have support for name-based virtual hosts, the number of IPv4 addresses
> required will drop.  Right now, you need 1 IP address for 1 SSL site;
> SNI spec of SSL gets rid of that.

And at what percentage of deployment of IPv6 will we see people decide
that they no longer need to support IPv4 access
to their web site?  (Oh, sorry you were talking about SNI.  My bad. :-)

Personally, I think it is basically the same question and should have
similar answers.   Some people seemed to think that the number is
100%.    From what I can tell about SNI, WIndows XP clients not using
Firefox or Opera are never going to get it.   I think Windows XP is
down to just over 50% which is way more then IPv6 deployment numbers
at this point.  We may find that the same people who don't have IPv6
will also be running Windows XP and Internet Explorer.  So the choice
will be to either switch to SNI or switch to IPv6 and lose access to
the same customers in either case.