Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon Apr 19 01:36:18 UTC 2010

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse any errors.

On Apr 18, 2010, at 21:28, Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net> wrote:

> Franck Martin wrote:
>> Sure the internet will not die...
>>
>> But by the time we run out of IPv4 to allocate, the IPv6 network
>> will not have completed to dual stack the current IPv4 network. So
>> what will happen?
>>

> Reality is that as soon as SSL web servers and SSL-capable web
> browsers
> have support for name-based virtual hosts, the number of IPv4
> addresses
> required will drop.  Right now, you need 1 IP address for 1 SSL site;
> SNI spec of SSL gets rid of that.

Agreed.

When do you expect Windows XP & earlier versions to be a small enough
segment of the userbase that businesses will consider DoS'ing those
customers?   My guess is when the cost of additional v4 addresses is
higher than the profit generated by those customers.

Put another way: Not until it is too late.

And we still have the "way less than 4 billion possible addresses, but
way more than 4 billion hosts" problem.

--
TTFN,
patrick