Tracking down reverse for ip

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Sat Apr 17 05:28:04 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 10:52 PM, James Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 3:59 PM, William Pitcock
> <nenolod at systeminplace.net> wrote:
> > For someone who is a CCNA, Mikrotik Certified Whatever, etc, etc, etc,
> > you really should know how to use dig(1).
>
> Certifications usually only suggest certain skills or knowledge they
> were designed to validate,  and sometimes might fail even at that;
> dig(1) or detailed DNS knowledge  is not scoped within either of those
> certs, as far as I know..

Whilst that's almost certainly right, I had a lot of trouble finding a
google search that _didn't_ return something relevant as it's first hit
(such as ARIN's whois, or one of several guides on how to use dig/etc for
reverse DNS).

Of course, they don't teach google in any certification I've come across
either, but...

  Scott