CX4 to XFP

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Apr 16 15:53:31 UTC 2010

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> On 04/16/2010 08:35 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Apr 2010, William Jobs wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone else undertaken a similar setup? What were the difficulties
>>> you
>>> encountered especially in terms of reduced throughput, packet loss
>>> etc. Any
>>> recommended media converters?
>>
>> Why media converter? There are CX4 XFPs as far as I can google...
>
> the cx4 interface is xaui 4x3Gb/s, as is xenpack. xfp is xfi 1 x 10Gb/s
> so connecting the two requires a serdes device.

http://www.small-tree.com/XFP_CX4_p/xfp-cx4.htm

"The XFP-CX4 copper transceiver module provides cost effective and
reliable transport of 10 Gigabit Ethernet LAN data over distances of up to
15 meters. Transparently to the user, the module transfers the 10GbE data
stream over four full-duplex 3.125 GigaBaud channels over a single
parallel copper cable. The product offers the ability to scale bandwidth
in 10 Gigabit increments, and directly with the industry standard MDI
electrical socket."

I guess this one does that?

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se