alt.folklore.nanog

Jeroen van Aart jeroen at mompl.net
Thu Apr 15 00:04:21 UTC 2010

Lamar Owen wrote:
> and construction of the prototype.  It was announced to the public on August
> 3, 1977, and sold a quarter of a million units over its lifetime (talking
> about the 'Model I' only).  IOW, the TRS-80 was already in design before the
> PET was shown to John Roach; that's the minor correction.

Right, I believe the book was trying to say that the missed opportunity
is that Commodore could have sold the original PET in Tandy's stores. I
assume you were (as I was) wondering why the hell Tandy would have done
that as it've been a competitor to the TRS-80. But then Commodore
(having taken over MOS technologies) sold CPUs to their major
competitors including Apple and Atari. So it's not unheard of.

Regards,
Jeroen