Router for Metro Ethernet

Bill Stewart nonobvious at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 15:22:44 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 9:12 PM, Tony Varriale <tvarriale at comcast.net> wrote:
> > From: "Bill Stewart" <nonobvious at gmail.com>
> > Be careful using 3845s for 100 Mbps connections or above
> The 3825 says 179mbps on their spec sheet.  Not sure where you are getting
> your numbers but they are way off.
> All of those numbers are straight forwarding with nothing turned on and 64
> byte packets.  That way you get a nice idea of what the CPU can do.

That's the spec sheet, and that's for straight forwarding.
If you want to do much of anything else at all with the router,
Cisco has another web page that says they only recommend 45Mbps on the
3845 and something like half that on the 3825.
It's especially an issue if you need to do traffic-shaping, which you
usually do for MetroE.
--
----
             Thanks;     Bill

Note that this isn't my regular email account - It's still experimental so far.
And Google probably logs and indexes everything you send it.