APNIC Allocated 14/8, 223/8 today

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Wed Apr 14 14:48:29 UTC 2010

On 4/14/2010 09:35, Vincent Hoffman wrote:
> On 14/04/2010 13:45, Dave Hart wrote:

>>> Sunny,
>>>
>>> Please be careful about how you write this. "014" is formally an octal
>>> representation, and what you've written there actually means that APNIC has
>>> received 12/8 (= octal 014).
>>>
>>> Nick
>>>
>> Nick,
>>
>> My eyebrow raised at the leading zero as well, but I'd call it
>> ambiguous.  0x14 is unambiguously decimal 20, but 014 is only
>> unambiguous in a context that defines leading zero as implying octal.
>> For a C program relying on the runtime to convert text to numeric
>> representation, it depends.  sscanf("%d", &myint) will convert 014 to
>> decimal 14, "%i" gets decimal 12.
>>
>> I personally hunt down and kill %i and other octal-assuming code when
>> I see it, except where octal is conventional.  To my eyes, 0xFF (or
>> FF) screams "all bits lit" while 0377 (or 377) only hesitantly clears
>> its throat.  Moreover, I assume computers will be used by people who
>> have never had reason to believe a leading zero implies base 8, and I
>> find no joy in forcing them to learn that quirk of computing history.
>>

> On an up to date OSX install (and Centos linux and FreeBSD)
> (15:23:17 <~>) 0 $ ping 014.0.0.1
> PING 014.0.0.1 (12.0.0.1): 56 data bytes
> Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
>
>>From windows 2003 servert
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping 014.0.0.01
> Pinging 12.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
>

> wget (on linux and freebsd)
>
> (15:26:02 <~>) 0 $ wget 014.0.0.1
> --2010-04-14 15:26:06--  http://014.0.0.1/
> Connecting to 014.0.0.1|12.0.0.1|:80...
>
> Oddly on OSX it doesnt take it as octal
> (15:27:30 <~>) 130 $ wget 014.0.0.1
> --2010-04-14 15:27:31--  http://014.0.0.1/
> Connecting to 014.0.0.1 (014.0.0.1)|14.0.0.1|:80...
>

> When it comes to IP addresses, its not history, its important :)

I think it is important form us to recognize and accept that this is 2010.

The Constitution means what ever the speaker needs for it to mean, or
can be dismissed outright.

014 means what ever the speaker needs for it to mean.....

It is the duty and responsibility of the hearer (or reader) to figure
out how it applies to them for the moment.

Standards and agreements on protocol are so eighteenth century.

> Vince
>> Take care,
>> Dave Hart

Dark Ages Larry

--
Somebody should have said:
A democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting
the vote.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca