Router for Metro Ethernet

Holmes,David A dholmes at mwdh2o.com
Tue Apr 13 18:06:56 UTC 2010

We use Cisco 3750 L3 switches for Metro Ethernet connectivity. The 3750
SFPs can run at wire speed up to 1 GiGE. The 3750s are very reliable,
and have good, follow-the-sun technical support in case of problems.
Some caveats:

1. only the ME version supports MPLS, in case you want to overlay an
MPLS TE/VPN network on a Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF) ELAN raw Ethernet
service.
2. If you are using IP multicast, make sure that the Metro Ethernet
provider supports PIM snooping, otherwise (S,G) directed multicast
packets will be flooded out all service provider ports that connect to
your devices, emulating a 1993-style Ethernet hub.