FCC dealt major blow in net neutrality ruling favoring, Comcast

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Mon Apr 12 18:42:49 UTC 2010

One of the things I like about e-mail lists is learning things about
myself that I never knew before, especially regarding my occupation. For
the last 9 months or so I've been working part-time with a Washington
think tank in an analyst capacity, not as a lobbyist, and not on the
Comcast payroll. My views about Internet regulation precede this job and
haven't been altered by it. For purposes of the present discussion, I'd
rather be known as the guy who wrote the first IEEE 802 standard for
Ethernet over twisted pair, or designed the Wi-Fi MAC protocol, or the
DRP for UWB, or something like that.

As Suresh notes, the idea that the FCC overstepped its bounds in the
Comcast order is hardly controversial. It's not even a matter of opinion
any more, as the decision written by the most liberal judge on the 3rd
Circuit, David Tatel, means it's the law. The debate about how to
regulate the Internet is now premised on the fact that the old rationale
doesn't hold up to scrutiny, so deal with it.

RB

--
Richard Bennett
Research Fellow