Carrier class email security recommendation

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Mon Apr 12 16:21:45 UTC 2010

On 4/12/2010 10:22 AM, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> The man did say "carrier class" .. not "small webhost for four
> families and dog".   You're talking multiple mailservers + filtering
> gateways / appliances etc, clustered .. rather tough to do that with
> one pizzabox 1U running a linux that's not updated in years and
> configured with webmin.

I build basically the same mail-system where is collapsed into a single
box or spread out across a cluster.

sendmail + clamav milter + milter graylist -> procmail -> spamd ->
maildir delivery -> dovecot imap.

When you need to scale the front end you deploy a load balancer and fire
up more smtp boxes...

When you need to scale the filestore you move it to nfs and divide and
conquer.

When you need to scale imap you shift it in front of the load balancer
and deploy more boxes.

For load balancer we used LVS back in the day.

can replace sendmail with postfix or exim, it's mostly a place to hang
the various on-connect filter regimes.