ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

William Herrin bill at
Mon Apr 12 11:10:17 CDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:23 AM, John Curran <jcurran at> wrote:
> On Apr 12, 2010, at 8:51 AM, Joe Greco wrote:
>> Further, given the purported role that InterNIC played, "exchange of
>> value" as a prerequisite is a rather questionable position to rely on;
>> InterNIC had motivations other than a purely financial one to organize
>> IP allocations.  The number assignment function is critical to allowing
>> the Internet to work smoothly.
> On this matter we do agree, since allocations prior to ARIN's formation were
> generally made pursuant to a US Government contract or cooperative agreement.
> While I don't consider addresses to be property, if you take the opposite view
> then there's very likely a significant body of procurement law which already
> applies to property furnished in this manner and would be far more relevant
> than any documentation that an address block recipient received at the time.

John, Joe:

If you want to understand the general thinking circa 1993, find a copy
of the first edition, third printing of the crab book (TCP/IP Network
Administration, O'Reilly) and read chapter 4. That was the reference
many of us followed when getting our first address blocks.

Bill Herrin

William D. Herrin ................ herrin at  bill at
3005 Crane Dr. ...................... Web: <>
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004