ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Apr 12 16:10:17 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:23 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On Apr 12, 2010, at 8:51 AM, Joe Greco wrote:
>> Further, given the purported role that InterNIC played, "exchange of
>> value" as a prerequisite is a rather questionable position to rely on;
>> InterNIC had motivations other than a purely financial one to organize
>> IP allocations.  The number assignment function is critical to allowing
>> the Internet to work smoothly.
>
> On this matter we do agree, since allocations prior to ARIN's formation were
> generally made pursuant to a US Government contract or cooperative agreement.
> While I don't consider addresses to be property, if you take the opposite view
> then there's very likely a significant body of procurement law which already
> applies to property furnished in this manner and would be far more relevant
> than any documentation that an address block recipient received at the time.

John, Joe:

If you want to understand the general thinking circa 1993, find a copy
of the first edition, third printing of the crab book (TCP/IP Network
Administration, O'Reilly) and read chapter 4. That was the reference
many of us followed when getting our first address blocks.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004