ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Mon Apr 12 00:15:54 UTC 2010

John,

On Apr 11, 2010, at 1:08 PM, John Curran wrote:
>> When most of the legacy space was handed out, there were no restrictions on what you could do/not do with address space simply because no one considered it necessary.
> I don't think I can agree with that statement,

Not surprising.

> but for sake of clarity -
> when do you think this "no restriction" period actually occurred?

Hard for me to tell, since my interaction with Jon in terms of obtaining IP addresses was limited to getting 202/7 back in '93 or so.  If I remember correctly, Jon simply said addresses from that block should be used for assignments in the AP region in keeping with RFC 1466.  He did not impose any sort of restrictions on "transfers" (why bother since all you needed to do was ask for addresses) nor were there any formal agreements.  I suppose the limitation of allocation to the AP region could be considered a restriction, but that's probably a bit pedantic.

However, pragmatically speaking, both of our views are irrelevant.  My impression is that folks who have legacy space believe that it is their asset.  As I said in response to Owen, I suspect a legal decision will be needed to definitively resolve this question.

Regards,
-drc