Solar Flux (was: Re: China prefix hijack)

Michael Dillon wavetossed at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 11 15:58:40 UTC 2010

> That is likely to be an increasing problem in upcoming months/years.
> Solar cycle 24 started in August '09; we're ramping up on the way out
> of a more serious than usual sunspot minimum.

I wonder what kind of buildings are less susceptible to these kinds
of problems. And is there a good way to test your data centre
to come up with some kind of vulnerability rating?

Would a Faraday cage be sufficient to protect against cosmic ray bit-flipping
and how could you retrofit a Faraday cage onto a rack or two of gear?

--Michael Dillon