32 bits ASN on Cisco

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Sun Apr 11 13:40:42 UTC 2010

On 2010-04-11 13:15, Franck Martin wrote:
> This is the document I quoted in my first email.
> ok for 2500, 2600 they are EOL, but still out there..

A lot of boxes is still out there, sure. Some of them can't be
upgraded, and it is not a problem unique only for Cisco.

> but Gary says the software is too new to be used on
> prod, and you say there is no problem.

I didn't say there's no problem with the software - depending on your
network size, features, load and millions other characteristics, some
of the software may be unusable, where others will say "it works for
me". 7600 guys should follow 12.2SR track, so the 12.2(33)SRE and
rebuils are natural way of going forward. ISR guys (access) are usually
implementing a multiservice boxes, so need new features - and they
appear in 15.0(1)M, as entire 12.4T line is going EoS/EoL soon.

For the legacy platforms, like 1600, 1700, 2600, 3600, 3700 the
last software that runs is 12.4(15)T and rebuilds - and while it's
unfortunate they don't support 32 bit ASNs, they reached EoS status
before the feature was implemented, so according to Cisco rules, no
new features can appear in EoSed software, only fixes.

In reality, you either test yourself if the software is OK for your
network, or pay for such tests/audit. While the line 'trust your
vendor' looks nice, people usually do test before deployment. So
you may get thousands of different opinions what's working and what is
not, but for such discussions it would be better to move to cisco-nsp at .

--
"Everything will be okay in the end.  |                 Łukasz Bromirski
 If it's not okay, it's not the end." |      http://lukasz.bromirski.net