ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Apr 10 03:57:52 UTC 2010

On Apr 9, 2010, at 10:43 AM, William Herrin wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 9, 2010, at 7:30 AM, todd glassey wrote:
>>> BULL SH*T, ARIN makes determinations as to how many IP addresses it will
>>> issue and in that sense it is exactly a regulator.
>>>
>> No, ARIN is not a regulator.  Regulators have guns or access to people with
>> guns to enforce the regulations that they enact. ARIN has no such power.
>>
>> The FCC is a regulator.  The California PUC is a regulator. ARIN is not
>> a regulator.
>
> Last I heard, the FCC has access to people with law degrees not guns.
> Much like ARIN, really.

If the FCC finds that you have violated an FCC regulation, they are well
and truly capable of bringing in the FBI and State or Local law enforcement
to enforce their regulation. All three of those entities have guns. To do so,
the FCC does not need a court order.

ARIN cannot get the FBI, State, or Local law enforcement to enforce
ARIN policy unless that policy is further backed by a court order.
(Of course, at that point, they are acting under the force of a regulator
in the form of the court more than under ARIN).

Owen