ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Fri Apr 9 18:05:07 UTC 2010

On 09 Apr 2010 12:43, William Herrin wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>
>> On Apr 9, 2010, at 7:30 AM, todd glassey wrote:
>>
>>> BULL SH*T, ARIN makes determinations as to how many IP addresses it will issue and in that sense it is exactly a regulator.
>>>
>> No, ARIN is not a regulator.  Regulators have guns or access to people with guns to enforce the regulations that they enact. ARIN has no such power.
>>
>> The FCC is a regulator.  The California PUC is a regulator. ARIN is not a regulator.
>>
> Last I heard, the FCC has access to people with law degrees not guns.
> Much like ARIN, really.

If you violate FCC regulations, their first step is to take you to court
for violating their regulations, but if you ignore the court's ruling
against you, people with guns (the FBI, IIRC) _will_ come stop your
violations, whether that means putting you in jail or putting you in the
ground.  That is what "the force of law" means.

ARIN's authority ends at the contract you signed with them, and their
only remedy (not providing any further services) is specified in that
contract.  If you did not sign a contract with them, they have no
authority at all--and no obligation to provide any services to you.
ARIN policy therefore does _not_ have the force of law.  You are free to
ignore them if you wish, unlike a regulator.