ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Apr 9 17:26:25 UTC 2010

On Apr 9, 2010, at 2:34 AM, John Curran wrote:
> Another bright gentleman many years ago suggested that we have an online
> website which allows anyone to pay a fee and get an address block. This
> is not inconceivable, but does completely set aside hierarchical routing
> which is currently an underlying mechanism for making our addressing
> framework scalable.

Doesn't end user PI assignment already do this?  Note I'm not arguing against end user PI assignment policy, rather just making the observation that given IPv6 did not address routing scalability, the path we're heading down is obvious, the only question is how fast.  The problem is that ARIN is getting in the way of people (some of which are ARIN members) dumping nitrous into the combustion chamber.

This doesn't seem like a stable, long term viable situation to me.

Regards,
-drc