ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Apr 9 16:30:08 UTC 2010

> Put differently, you work in this arena too...  you've presumably
> talked to stakeholders.  Can you list some of the reasons people have
> provided for not adopting v6, and are any of them related to the v6
> policies regarding address space?

Reasons:
	+	Fear
		People simply fear deploying new technology to their environment.

	+	Uncertainty
		The future is uncertain. Many people fail to realize that IPv4's future
		is even more uncertain than that of IPv6.

	+	Doubt
		You are not the only one expressing doubt in IPv6.  The reality,
		however, is that I think that LSN and a multi-layer NAT internet
		are even more worthy of doubt than IPv6.

	+	Inertia
		Many people are approaching this like driving at night with the
		headlights off.  They refuse to alter course until they can see
		the wall.  There is a wall coming in two years whether you can
		see it or not. If you have not begun to deploy IPv6 (changed
		course), then there will soon come a point where the accident
		has already occurred, even though you cannot yet see the
		wall and have not yet made physical contact with it.

		A classic example of this phenomenon would be a certain
		large unsinkable ship where the captain chose to try and
		make better time to New York rather than use a lower speed
		to have time to avoid ice bergs. The ship never arrived in
		New York and its name became an adjective to describe
		large disasters.

Owen