ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Apr 9 16:04:19 UTC 2010

> This is an answer though. The vast majority of people who need address space in
> North America are ARIN members. These ARIN members are happy with the current
> organisation. If the set of people who need IP address tend towards being happy
> with the current system, there is no reason to change it for a new system,
> which they may not be happy with.

Actually, I don't believe that is completely true.  The vast majority of address
space in North America is given to ARIN members. However, the vast
majority of people who need address space in North America are end
users, most of whom get their address space from ARIN members or
descendent LIRs from ARIN members. In some cases, they are end
users who get address space from ARIN but are not ARIN members.

Some end users are ARIN members, but, I do not believe the majority
of them are.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it being this way, just that
it is an important distinction in address consumption vs. membership.

Owen