"Running out of IPv6" (Re: ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacyIP4 Space)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Apr 9 03:29:18 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 7:57 PM, John Palmer (NANOG Acct)
<nanog2 at adns.net> wrote:
> What I would need if I were to go with IP6 would be to have a parallel
> address for every one of
> my current addresses. Right now we have 2 - legacy /24's and one legacy /23
> - thats it.
>
> I'd just need the "equivalent"  IP6 space.

John,

IPv6 assignment is LAN-centric rather than address centric, so think
about how many LANs you have.

LANs are rigged to always be /64. Stateless autoconfiguration doesn't
work right if they're bigger or smaller. You need a /64 for each LAN
including the ones now served with RFC 1918 addresses.

You'll want to set aside one /64 from which you'll assign /126's to
your point to points and /128's to your router loopbacks.

If you have downstream customers, even if they're just dialups, expect
to assign at least a /60 to each one. Many folks recommend /56 or /48.
Delegation on 4-bit boundaries is convenient in IPv6 the same way
delegation on 8-bit boundaries is convenient in IPv4. Since your
downstream customers may have an internal LAN and a DMZ, you'll want
to provide at least two LANs by stepping up to the next 4-bit boundary
above /64.

ARIN details vary depending on whether or not your an ISP and whether
you're connecting a single network or multiple sites independently
connected to the Internet. I recommend you hire or befriend someone
with experience interacting with ARIN who can go over your network's
details with you. ARIN staff are friendly and helpful but there are
some magic words and phrases that will get you the result you want and
it can be hard to un-say the wrong thing.

If you want to look before you leap, do a google search for "6to4" or
get a free IPv6 tunnel via tunnelbroker.net.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004