ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Apr 8 23:55:46 UTC 2010

On Apr 8, 2010, at 2:29 PM, joe mcguckin wrote:
> I think the more interesting discussion is:
>  - Where is ARIN and the RIR's headed?
>  - What will ARIN look like 10 years from now?

Joe -

  Excellent questions... The direction with respect to ARIN is that
  the Board has spent significant time considering this issue and
  the guidance provided to date is that ARIN is to focus on its core
  mission of providing allocation and registration services, and
  be supportive of other related organizations (e.g. NANOG, ICANN,
  ISOC) which perform related functions in the community.  This
  approach has reduced the risk of mission creep (at least as far
  as I can tell... :-)

  From a practical matter, it also means that we need to consider
  a future for ARIN which provides a core address registry function,
  modest IPv4 updates and modest IPv6 new allocation activity, and
  likely a very stable policy framework. This vision of the future
  is highly compatible with automation, and ARIN is indeed working
  aggressively in this area with ARIN Online.  I do think that
  automation plus a reduction in activity will result in a modest
  reduction in overall costs, but the costs associated with having
  an open community-based organization aren't necessarily changing:
  - If you have the community to elect AC and Board members, then
  you have a membership/election function (which implies specific
  costs in the organization).
  - If you have the community set policy via an open policy process,
  then you have a policy process, policy proposal administration,
  and public policy meetings (which again implies more costs to
  the organization, roughly proportional to the policy activity).
  - If you participate in the global policy process (coordinating
  with other RIR's, ICANN, and now the ITU), then there is yet
  another set of costs to be covered by the organization.

  I'm committed to keeping the costs reasonable and proper for
  the mission, but its the community that needs to think about
  that mission and what they want ARIN (and the RIR community
  as a whole) to be doing 10+ years from now...  Input can be
  provided in many forms, including on the mailing lists,
  in-person and remotely in the Public Policy Meeting, via the
  various consultations that ARIN does with respect to services
  and fees, and directly via running for the ARIN Board in the
  annual election process.

Thank you for raising this topic!
/John

John Curran