China prefix hijack

jul jul_bsd at yahoo.fr
Thu Apr 8 20:57:31 UTC 2010

I also see some of this from France.

On this incident/error, even if tools like BGPMon, watchmy.net and
others exactly did their roles, I asking myself if there are some other
public tools which can help.

CIDR returns Chinanet as the biggest announcer (but could be the case
previously)
97074688  	 Largest address span announced by an AS (/32s)
 	AS4134: CHINANET-BACKBONE No.31,Jin-rong Street
on http://www.cidr-report.org/as2.0/
Same stats from http://www.ris.ripe.net/dashboard/4134
I'm not sure either of them is real-time.

There is also a "hole" in
http://www.cymru.com/BGP/bgp_prefixes.html

So, how each one has assess the impact of this on his network ? How
could we check where route's propagation stop(ed) ?
Thanks to Renesys and Team Cymru for the stats of how many
prefixes/countries where affected.

I hope most Tier1 operators have rules to filter too big announces
changes to avoid the Youtube/Pakistan Telecom effect or i-root as said
previously.

thanks
Best regards,

	Jul