ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Thu Apr 8 18:37:57 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 02:22:29PM -0400, William Herrin wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Mr. James W. Laferriere
> <babydr at baby-dragons.com> wrote:
> >> And, really, even if the fee for your /48 (X-small category) assignment
> >> maintenance fee went up to $1250/yr to match the current allocation
> >> maintenance fee table, would that really be "significant" in the grand
> >> scheme of things?
> >
> >        Try that fee while trying to make a living in a depressed econimic
> > region JUST for an ipv4 /24 Assignment .  I don't make enough to cover that
>
> Jim,
>
> Not much sympathy for folks crying the blues about the cost of an
> address assignment that they're going to turn around and announce into
> the DFZ...

	assuming facts not in evidence there ... but ok.

> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 1:17 PM,  <bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com> wrote:
> >        What, if any, plan exists to improve the utilization density of the
> >        existant IPv4 pool?
>
> Bill,
>
> ARIN has implemented a structure to facilitate IPv4 address transfers
> should an open market come to exist. Between an address market and the
> ever more creative use of NAT, it should be possible for IPv4
> addressing to continue after free pool depletion as a zero-sum game.
> Exactly how long is a matter of debate with speculation ranging from
> months to decades.

	cool.  I've used the transfer policy with limited success.
	I guess the interesting thing in your statement (and I suspect
	a trip to the ARIN NRPM is in order) is "should an open market
	come into existence" ... how do you see that happening?

	but more to my point.  If I'm using a single /24 out of my /20
	(using an antiquated example) - would there be:

	) interest in the other 15 /24s
	) how would that interest be expressed (so I would know about it)
	) complaints from the folks running w/o default about
	  the new prefixes on offer?  **

** remembering that as far as the routing system is concerned, a /32 is a /32