ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Apr 8 14:52:43 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 6:31 PM, John Payne <john at sackheads.org> wrote:
>> Those with legacy IP4 space should have the equivalent IP6
>> space under the same terms. Or am I missing something?
>
> If you don't have a contract with ARIN, why should ARIN
>provide you with anything?

Because ARIN is one of the guardians of Internet public policy and it
is in the public's best interest for every individual private
organization to spend the money and effort deploying IPv6 sooner
rather than later, regardless of their individual relationships with
ARIN.

It's like government services for the elderly. Though today many are a
net drain on society, they've mostly earned their place with past
action and it's the decent and charitable thing to do for the folks
who created the possibility of the lives we enjoy today.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004