Finding content in your job title

Steven Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Thu Apr 8 01:03:32 UTC 2010

On Apr 7, 2010, at 4:28 32PM, Martin Hannigan wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 11:14 PM, Steve Bertrand <steve at ibctech.ca> wrote:
>
> [ snip ]
>

>> For instance, I like to present myself as a 'network engineer'. I have
>> never taken formal education, don't hold any certifications (well, since
>> 2001), and can't necessarily prove my worth.
>>
>> How does the ops community feel about using this designation?
>>

> FWIW, I was Commodore of Infrastructure when I worked for the President of
> The World.

Way back when, an organization I know of decided to "regularize" its titles and insisted that the computer center staff suggest proper titles.  They didn't much like "Bit Pusher" or "Telecommunications Bit Pusher", but finally gave up when one woman insisted that her proper title was "Empress of the 8th Floor".