ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

Kevin Stange kevin at steadfast.net
Wed Apr 7 23:47:10 UTC 2010

On 04/07/2010 06:20 PM, Franck Martin wrote:
> APNIC has a calculator for the fees for the space. you pay max(IPv4 space fee, IPv6 space fee). So basically you don't pay anything to dual stack your current network.

It currently works the same way in ARIN's fee schedule.  However, in
this discussion, we're talking about people who have legacy IPv4 space,
which is now administratively under ARIN's management, and for whom
there are currently no fees of any kind, which means that max(IPv4 space
fee, IPv6 space fee) == IPv6 space fee, and increase from nothing, ever.

> Also, if you are current standing member, they don't even ask you to justify IPv6, they give you a similar space to your current IPv4 space on simple request. If you need more then you need to justify.

For an organization that didn't have to justify anything for IPv4 in the
modern sense in order to obtain their address space, it's arguably a
valid question to ask whether they have any need for anything similar in
IPv6.

--
Kevin Stange
Chief Technology Officer