ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

Lee Howard lee at asgard.org
Wed Apr 7 22:07:27 UTC 2010

Right.  That's for legacy space.  The Board was trying to show that
the fees will be stable, without saying they'd never rise. In fact, if you
read the Legacy RSA itself, it says fee increases are limited to:
(1) the amount charged non-Legacy holders for this maintenance
service; and (2) no increase per year greater than $25.

You can find it through https://www.arin.net/resources/legacy/
along with a FAQ explaining why you might consider it.  You can
contact ARIN to discuss it, if you have questions (see FAQ #11).

By the way, we extended the availability of the Legacy RSA through
June 30, 2010.

Also, the fee is waived if you pay other fees to ARIN, or if you
return some address space.  See the URL.

> Then scroll down to the fees you can expect in 2013.

You're talking now about a new IPv6 allocation, not your legacy
space, right?  I covered legacy fees above.

> Especially note
> how the small guys get hit much harder per IP.

Do you mean the $2250 for a /32, or the $1250 for a /48?
Compare the relative costs to ARIN; ARIN's fees aren't set
per IP address.

Disclaimer:  I'm on the ARIN Board, but I sometimes make mistakes.
I summarize, but the official word comes from the documents and the
staff.

Lee