ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Apr 7 21:52:49 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Joe Greco <jgreco at ns.sol.net> wrote:
> We'd be doing IPv6 here if not for the annual fee.  As it stands, there
> isn't that much reason to do IPv6, and a significant disincentive in the
> form of the fees.

No you wouldn't. You'd hit the next impediment where the presence of
IPv6 on your LAN destabilizes your "Internet connection" by causing
all your software to try IPv6 first even though the IPv6 network
hasn't reached the level of stability present in the IPv4 network. And
then you'd stop and (rightly) complain about that problem too.

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Gary E. Miller <gem at rellim.com> wrote:
> I could handle 'like everyone else', but have you noticed the HUGE
> per IP disparity between large and small block sizes?

How many zeros would you like at the end of your address count? The
smallest ARIN IPv6 assignment has nearly 300 trillion more IP
addresses than the whole IPv4 Internet.

> As always, the devil is in the deetails.
>
> From: https://www.arin.net/fees/fee_schedule.html#waivers
>
> "The annual fee will be $100 USD until 2013, at which time ARIN's Board
> of Trustees may choose to raise the fee."
>
> Then scroll down to the fees you can expect in 2013.  Especially note
> how the small guys get hit much harder per IP.

You've misread the insider terminology. Here's a brief lesson in ARIN-speak:

allocation - addresses provided to ISPs which ISPs then "reassign" to
customers. These cost a lot per year. Partial waivers apply until
2013.

assignment - addresses provided to end-users. These cost a lot up
front, but then the organization as a whole only pays an annual
maintenance fee of $100 per year total. No waivers apply.

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 5:49 PM, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:
> By way of analogy, how long did pulse dialing continue to be
> supported in the phone system after DTMF was introduced?

It still is on every analog line I've tried, including voip adapters.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004