ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Wed Apr 7 20:31:08 UTC 2010

> On Apr 7, 2010, at 9:22 AM, William Herrin wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 12:09 PM, John Palmer (NANOG Acct)
> > <nanog2 at adns.net> wrote:
> >> Was looking at the ARIN IP6 policy and cannot find any reference to those
> >> who have
> >> IP4 legacy space.
> >>
> >> Isn't there an automatic allocation for those of us who have legacy IP
> >> space. If not, is ARIN
> >> saying we have to pay them a fee to use IP6?  Isn't this a disincentive for
> >> us to move up to IP6?
> >>
> >> Those with legacy IP4 space should have the equivalent IP6 space under the
> >> same terms. Or am I missing something?
> >
> > Hi John,
> >
> > The game is:
> >
> > Sign ARIN's "Legacy RSA" covering your legacy space. With the LRSA you
> > retain more rights than folks who sign the regular RSA, but probably
> > less rights than you have now.
>
> More accurately, you retain more rights than the standard RSA and you
> move from a situation where your exact rights are unknown and
> undetermined with no contractual relationship between you and ARIN
> to a situation where your rights are assured, enumerated, and a
> contractual relationship exists between you and ARIN governing
> the services you are receiving from ARIN.
>
> > Pay your $100/year as an end-user. You now qualify for an IPv6
> > assignment under ARIN NRPM 6.5.8.1b regardless of the size of your
> > network.
> >
> > Pay the $1250 IPv6 initial assignment fee.
>
> This is correct. I would like to see initial registration fee waivers for
> IPv6 end-user assignments.  I've brought the subject up on arin-discuss.
> There was substantial opposition to the idea.  If you would like to see
> that happen, I encourage you to voice your opinion there.

It's not the initial assignment fee that's really an impediment, it's
moving from a model where the address space is free (or nearly so) to
a model where you're paying a significant annual fee for the space.

We'd be doing IPv6 here if not for the annual fee.  As it stands, there
isn't that much reason to do IPv6, and a significant disincentive in the
form of the fees.

... JG