ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

Bill Stewart nonobvious at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 17:47:08 UTC 2010

>>> Isn't there an automatic allocation for those of us who have legacy IP
>>> space. If not, is ARIN saying we have to pay them a fee to use IP6?
>>> Isn't this a disincentive for us to move up to IP6?

If you're a very small company looking for larger than /32, maybe it's an issue.
If you're a medium-large company and /48 or /32 is enough, the
decision looks like this
- Option 1 - Pay the annoying fee, which is less than a week's pay for
a senior engineer.
- Option 2 - Allocate 160 hours of meeting time (50% scheduled, 50% ad-hoc),
               spread over 18 months, for one senior engineer, two
junior engineers,
               one mid-level manager, two upper level managers, three
accounting trolls,
               18 reams of printer paper, six pots of coffee, optional
doughnuts.
Most companies prefer the latter approach, but you don't have to be one of them.

--
----
             Thanks;     Bill

Note that this isn't my regular email account - It's still experimental so far.
And Google probably logs and indexes everything you send it.