ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Apr 7 16:22:15 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 12:09 PM, John Palmer (NANOG Acct)
<nanog2 at adns.net> wrote:
> Was looking at the ARIN IP6 policy and cannot find any reference to those
> who have
> IP4 legacy space.
>
> Isn't there an automatic allocation for those of us who have legacy IP
> space. If not, is ARIN
> saying we have to pay them a fee to use IP6?  Isn't this a disincentive for
> us to move up to IP6?
>
> Those with legacy IP4 space should have the equivalent IP6 space under the
> same terms. Or am I missing something?

Hi John,

The game is:

Sign ARIN's "Legacy RSA" covering your legacy space. With the LRSA you
retain more rights than folks who sign the regular RSA, but probably
less rights than you have now.

Pay your $100/year as an end-user. You now qualify for an IPv6
assignment under ARIN NRPM 6.5.8.1b regardless of the size of your
network.

Pay the $1250 IPv6 initial assignment fee.

For better or for worse, you're not going to get IPv6 space under the
"same terms" as your legacy IPv4 space. You got a really good deal on
IPv4. Try not to be too disappointed that the same deal isn't
available with IPv6.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004