what about 48 bits?

Stefan Bethke stb at lassitu.de
Wed Apr 7 16:06:42 UTC 2010

Am 07.04.2010 um 17:47 schrieb Joe Greco:

> There were several proprietary solutions to the 10base2 conundrum,
> I can't remember the name of the one I was most familiar with, but it
> eliminated all that stuff by using a molded cable that had a BNC on
> one end, contained dual RG cables inside a heavy jacket, and a funky
> molded plug on the end.

One system popular in Germany at the time used a modified German phone plug ("TAE"), and the resulting system was marketed as "EAD" or Ethernet Anschluss Dose.  The coax was way too heavy and stiff for the small plug, and would regularly unseat the connector.  Since the phone plug was never designed to have a defined impedance, any run longer than about 50 meters for the segment was hit and miss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EAD-socket

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb at lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811